Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dealing with New York

I'm feeling frustrated with the sexism in New York City. Having just returned from five weeks in Southeast Asia, one would think I'd be glad to be back in an environment where women are supposed to be equal to men, qualified for the same jobs, empowered as thinkers and doers, independent, able to feel comfortable living and traveling alone... Then why is it that I'm feeling more objectified and more paranoid for my safety than I did anywhere in Southeast Asia? Why is it that I am the person labeled "out of control" when I respond in like manner to the man in the street who made an inappropriate comment to me? Why am I the one who is causing trouble? Why should I "know better"?

The hypocrisy of America is no different from the hypocrisy in the rest of the world.

No comments: