Monday, July 7, 2008

Kratie

I've just arrived in Kratie, a town on the east bank of the cambodian mekong river. The conditions here are the most shocking I have seen yet. The main street looks normal with the usual motorbikes and fruit sellers, but turn down one side street and your path is hindered by heaps of trash, rotting food, and people sitting and eating in it. The smell is quite bad. My initial instinct was to immediately turn back, but I think it's good to get used to this and see the reality of cambodia. I've seen people living on the side of the road surrounded by rice fields, but this is the city and people are just piled ontop of each other. Its really humid here and makes me think its about time i started taking my malarone. I took it one day but it made me feel sick to my stomach. i'll try again tomorrow and hope it goes better. So far, no mosquito problems (knock on wood).

No comments: