Tuesday, August 5, 2008

and another thing

Why did it take me so long to find a chilled out coffee shop with free wireless, power outlets, and employees that actually cater to their patrons?

I'm not quite sure how to summarize the event or make an overgeneralizing statement about New Yorkers, as I would obviously love to do, so I think I'll just describe the situation.

My friend Lauren generously offered to give me her copy of Mac OS X Tiger so I can more easily add pictures to my picasa albums and my blog. Thus, I planned on spending this lovely Tuesday at a coffee shop doing just that. Choosing to be a conscious citizen of local New York establishments, I sought out a neighborhood coffee shop instead of going to one of the many chain stores that are all over the East Village. I set up shop in Cafe Pick Me Up on 9th Street and Avenue A. My first problem was finding an outlet to plug my computer into (you know how quickly Mac batteries burn out- I'm on my second battery and third extension cord...). I asked a fellow Mac user if he would mind plugging his power cord into the outlet behind him so I could plug mine into the one in front of him and run the cord along the floor to my table. No problem there. Then, the owner of the shop promptly approached me with an exasperated voice and anxious manner and said "you can not run your cord along the floor because if some trips I am responsible for it." This is a completely reasonable request, one which I have no problem accommodating. In fact, I calmly said "of course" not problem. And found another seat that allowed for a less intrusive stringing of the cord (and I checked with her before doing so to make sure it was ok). I was just annoyed or rather, taken aback, by the way she approached me. Really, is the situation so dire that you have to use such a worried and burdened tone? Can't you just say "excuse me, I'm afraid someone will trip over your cord, would you mind finding another place to sit that's less intrusive, here let me show you some options."

So, I spent my $7.10 on an iced chai and coconut blondie and settled in to start my work. But of course, in order to get an internet connection I had to pay $4 for two hours. Really? Didn't I just spend a whole weeks Laotian salary on a beverage and snack? You want me to pay for internet too? Why do you advertise internet if you're gonna make me pay for it- can you be more clear please? Anyway- as I was hot, frustrated, and unable to get online, I decided to leave Cafe Pick Me Up and try out the more commercial THINK on Bowery and Bleecker. Ah yes, free internet, exorbitant prices, but only one single power outlet in the whole place. Wonderful, thanks.

So here I am, finally writing my blog. Where am I you ask? Why I'm at 17 Bleecker. Gotta say, it's an oldie, but it's a goodie. Thanks 17 Bleecker for still being the same reliable cafe I sat in three years ago as I began the search for my very own East Village apartment. As I leave this pocket of Manhattan for the more spacious and less expensive enclave of Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn I will remember your cool air, ample supply of power outlets, and free internet. Although your iced chai leaves a bit to be desired, I can always count on your supply of vitamin water.

1 comment:

Stoop said...

come to Park Slope there's a free internet cafe on every corner